Founded in 1924, the Ecole Internationale de Genève (Ecolint) welcomes 4,500 students aged 3 to 18, representing more than 130 nationalities. Our 1,250 staff from all over the world work on our three campuses (La Grande Boissière and Campus des Nations in Geneva, La Châtaigneraie in the canton of Vaud).
In our 7 schools, our students benefit from international teaching and bilingual supervision of the highest quality.
To fulfil our mission of "Educating students to be global citizens with the courage and capacity to create a just and joyful tomorrow together", every member of staff can draw inspiration from our hundred years of experience, our constant drive to innovate, and our strong humanitarian values. Through our Ecolint Institute, we are committed to provide our staff with excellent professional development opportunities.
To complete our team at Nations Secondary School, we are looking for a full-time library assistant to assist the librarians in the overall running of the libraries. The assistant is expected to work 40 hours per week over 40 weeks a year (Full time role).
Campus des Nations (Secondary)
Full-time 40 hours
Key responsibilities of the role
- Lend and return library items using the library management system (Mandarin)
- Process library materials
- Shelve books and other items, check that they are in the proper order (DDC). Help maintain the collection, move books to make better use of shelving, and update signs as needed
- Assist library users in the process of locating library materials and offer information service; interpret library user questions, provide basic answers and make appropriate referrals to library professionals
- Engaging positively and proactively with students using the facility to assist with research and questions they may have.
Additional tasks include
- Helping the librarians to prepare displays (of library resources or student work)
- Helping maintain discipline
- Tidying magazines and newspapers, archive back issues
- Disposing of withdrawn materials
- Cataloguing / re-cataloguing as needed
- Assisting the librarians with inventory procedures
- Supervising the library in the absence of the librarians.
Professional experience and qualification required
- previous experience of working in a library;
- previous experience of working in an international school or international environment would be an asset;
- High school or commercial school diploma or equivalent.
Personal attributes required
- An enthusiastic commitment to the campus community and working in a team to create a welcoming and supportive library environment;
- Have a passion for sharing knowledge and resources with a drive to achieve the highest possible standards;
- A genuine interest in students and a caring, sensitive attitude to them;
- Have an ability to work in French and English;
- Good communication skills with colleagues, students and teachers.
Interested candidates are invited to apply online with their CV, three referees, of which one must be the current or most recent employer (who will be contacted in case of interview) and a letter of motivation addressed to Jamie Williams, Ecole Internationale de Genève, Campus des Nations before 4th December 2023, mentioning the reference number 410 162.
The Ecole Internationale de Genève values and encourages diversity among its staff. We therefore welcome applications from candidates with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. The School is seriously committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. All successful candidates will be subject to rigorous checks on their prior conduct with regard to Child Protection as appropriate to their position, including reference checking with previous employers and the relevant authorities.