The birth of the first international school. The school opens on Sept 17th 1924, with just 8 students and a rabbit. Founded by local educators and by officials of the League of Nations and ILO, the purpose of the school was – and still is – to provide an international education based on the progressive educational principles of the éducation nouvelle movement.
Paul Meyhoffer appointed first director.
First boy boarders admitted; girls followed in 1926
Move to the site at La Grande Boissière which is still in use today.
Marie-Thérèse Maurette becomes directrice.
Mme Maurette retires as directrice after 20 years in the job.
Mme Maurette retires as directrice after 20 years in the job. Fred Roquette becomes directeur with Bill Oats as his assistant given the increasing number of anglophone students.
First Students’ United Nations (SUN) session in the International Labour Organisation.
Opening of the Greek Theatre, which had been built largely through the efforts of students and teachers.
The School reaches 1,000 students for the first time.
The new Foundation of the International School of Geneva comes into being (First meeting of the Foundation Board).
The International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IB) in English and French is largely created by Robert J. Leach and other teachers at the International School of Geneva.
Distribution of the first IB Diplomas in the Greek Theatre by Lord Mountbatten.
Merger with the Lycée des Nations - Collège International de la Châtaigneraie and creation of our second campus, La Châtaigneraie.
Merger with the Lycée des Nations - Collège International de la Châtaigneraie and creation of our second campus, La Châtaigneraie. The Foundation exceeds 2,000 students for the first time. 50th Anniversary Celebrations
Merger with the United Nations Primary School (Pregny and Rigot sites)
Princess Caroline of Monaco inaugurates Les Marronniers, the new Primary School on the La Grande Boissière campus.
Inauguration of the Pregny Extension
George Walker becomes Director-General.
More than 100 nationalities in the student body for the first time.
A unified Secondary School comes into existence at La Grande Boissière leading to the creation of the Tronc Commun.
A unified Secondary School comes into existence at La Grande Boissière leading to the creation of the Tronc Commun. George Walker leaves to become Director General of the International Baccalaureate Organisation.
The last boarders leave and Ecolint stops offering boarding.
Nicholas Tate becomes Director General.
Student assembly to commemorate the 80th anniversary of the School.
Opening of our third campus, Campus des Nations – an IB World School – and subsequent closure of Mies and Rigot.
One hundred years of education on the La Châtaigneraie site. 4,000 students enrolled in the Foundation for the first time.
Ecolint welcomes its first adult students with the launch of the Post Graduate Certificate in Education (International) in association with Durham University.
Nicholas Tate retires after eight years and Vicky Tuck becomes Director General.
Inauguration of the Foundation’s Centre des arts at La Grande Boissière.
The School pays homage to its first student, Loïs Meyhoffer, during the 90th Anniversary celebrations in the Greek Theatre. The school has 139 nationalities on roll.
Ecolint publishes - in conjunction with UNESCO - a set of Guiding principles for learning in the 21st century.
Nearly 200 Ecolint students inaugurate a sculpture at the Palais des Nations marking the 70th anniversary of the United Nations Office presence in Geneva.
An American black walnut tree, named Alexandre in honour of its illustrious predecessor, is planted at La Grande Boissière, 40 years after its homonym was felled, in the presence of Loïs Meyhoffer, the school’s first student.